Back to Blog
If the IRS sent you an Economic Stimulus Payment for a deceased loved one, the IRS instructions to return the funds - per the IRS site - for CA residents are below:
If the payment was a paper check:
1. Write "Void" in the endorsement section on the back of the check.
2. Mail the voided Treasury check immediately to the appropriate IRS location listed below.
3. Don't staple, bend, or paper clip the check.
4. Include a brief explanation stating the reason for returning the check.
If the payment was a paper check and you have cashed it, or if the payment was a direct deposit:
1. Submit a personal check, money order, etc., immediately to the appropriate IRS location listed below.
2. Write on the check/money order made payable to “U.S. Treasury” and write 2020EIP, and the taxpayer identification number (social security number, or individual taxpayer identification number) of the recipient of the check.
3. Include a brief explanation of the reason for returning the EIP.
For CA residents, mail to:
Fresno Internal Revenue Service
5045 E Butler Avenue
Fresno, CA 93888
CONTACT US IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR NEED HELP FILING A FINAL RETURN FOR A LOVED ONE.